The Toby Award

Excuse me,

Ahem,

(sips water)

Testing 1, 2, 3,

Testing.

Ok, we're good.


Now then, ladies and gentlemen.

I'd like to introduce a new feature here at Mrs. Spit Spouts Off.

The Toby Award

Given to those who perform silent but heroic acts.

Those that would never think of praising themselves.

Those who possibly don't even think of themselves as brave or heroic. Named after the Vinyl Cafe's Arthur awards - where in people nominate themselves, their family, their friends and even complete strangers for the award. The award celebrates the family dog - Arthur, and the quiet way he improves the life around him.

I awoke this morning to 26 pounds of cat on my feet. Toby is large and timid, but he shows up every night, for a pet and a drool (I pet him, he drools). His mission in life is simple - eat, drink, give love. It seemed appropriate to name these awards after him.

I decided this award was in order after I posted about having to be a grown up, and many of you commented about how good this was. It gave me that extra bit of strength to carry on, to believe in what I was doing. I saw Felix Hominum's blog, and thought, yes, I can do this.

So often we don't think of what we are doing as brave, as important, as anything other than hard work. I wanted to recognize the Toby spirit in the world, where we try to leave it a better place than what we see now.

I have 2 nominees for this week.

Nominee One.
C at My Resurfacing, who wrote about taking joy in some one's pregnancy. Who wrote so beautifully about extending a form of grace and mercy to a young woman who likely had not seen much of that. Who did so at a time when her heart is bruised and battered. Who did something at tremendous cost, and made the world a slightly better place. I doubt anyone around her realized that she had to dig deep, but I did.

Ladies and gentlemen, if you would join me in raising your glass to C. Who is lovely and brilliant and kind and gracious, and is doing so incredibly well at being Callum's mum, when it is a hard trudge, every single step of the way.

To C.

And Nominee Two:
Jane, from Pink Heebee. Jane is a Guider - that is she is responsible for a troop of Brownies, and a Troop of Guides. And as far as I am concerned, anyone who spends that amount of time working with children, completely without compensation, deserves a medal. It is those adults who work with our pre-teens that show them they have worth, that show them they matter, and that show them what it means to be a part of a community.

Ladies and gentlemen, if you would join me in raising your glass to Jane, who works tirelessly, to give this world's children a better lot in life, to teach them about kindness and gentleness and care and concern for the world around them, and does so quietly and often without thanks.

To Jane.

The Nomination Process

This award is not like others, where you can give it to others on your blog. It would be great if you could send me an email and let me know of some deserving soul. It can be you, or someone else. I will post the award on Sunday's, as I have nominations.