Gabriel

You were here, and then you were gone.
They tell me that the Lord gives and he takes away.
And I am to bless his name.
And I just need to remember, to say your name.

I was a mother, and then my son was gone.
Blessed be the mother of sons, they say.
And I am, just barely, mummy.

My mind is full.
Words that will never escape your lips.
There will be no kisses for mummy.
No flowers in your chubby hands.

But I remember, and say your name.

There was no clean smell of baby,
rather blood and fear and sorrow.
The joy of creation barely welled up on my lips.
I barely had time to praise His name, your name,
any name
Before the gall of sorrow, it over took me.

In Him was the light, and in you was our light,
and a light shone in the darkness, and the darkness
did not understand it.

Bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh
A piece of my heart,
My treasure, in heaven

And Gabriel, I remember.

********

Dear friends and loved ones,

With great joy and heartbreak, we wish to announce: at 10:26 PM on December 10, 2007, Gabriel Anton was born into the hands of Cathy, his midwife, sang to in the arms of his mother, rocked in the arms of his father, bathed in the arms of his grandmother, and baptized in the arms of Regula, his Parish Priest.

At just after 11 PM, he was carried to Heaven in the arms of the angels, where we will meet him again one day.

At 520 grams (1 pound 2.4 ounces), and 33 cm (13 inches) he was wee, with 10 fingers and toes, and a full head of hair. He was a perfect, but very tiny baby.

Many of you have asked how you can help. Until now, we didn't know how important it would be for us to talk to you about Gabriel. You can help us by allowing us to share in the magic and the sorrow of Gabriel's life. Please ask us questions and let us tell you how we feel. It will take time, but your support will help us to continue living and remembering our precious baby, Gabriel.

We will welcome your visits. Please don't feel the need to find the perfect words to say, there are no good words, and that's okay.

Matthew 6:20,21
But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

In Christ's love,
Cheryl and Owen